[gameprogrammer] Re: Sky in OpenGL

  • From: Stephen <gp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:53:28 +0000

Thanks; I think this one has been the best solution. I've just drawn the sphere with the centre at the camera and the radius of my maximum view distance, and it seems to work fine. (I like to keep it simple, and all the talk of Z-buffers and clipping planes didn't mean much to me, sorry).

Stephen

Alan Wolfe wrote:

make the sphere smaller then, the result should be the same :P

have you tried that?

On 11/16/05, *Stephen* <gp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Sorry, I spoke too soon - it doesn't work for me, but probably cos I'm
    doing something wrong.

    I'm setting up the openGL with this:
        glu.gluPerspective(45f, height_ratio, 0.1, 30f);

    Then I loop through all the objects, which all draw okay, and then
    the sky:-
            gl.glDisable(GL.GL_DEPTH_TEST);
            glu.gluSphere(Canvas3D.quadratic, DIAMETER, 24, 24);
            gl.glEnable(GL.GL_DEPTH_TEST);

    If I increase the 30f in the perspective command, it draws the
    sky.  But
    at the moment it doesn't, even with the disabling of the depth test.
    BTW, I'm using Java and JOGL.  Any help much appreciated!

    Thanks in advance,

    Steve.