[gameprogrammer] Re: Sky in OpenGL

  • From: Sami Näätänen <sn.ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:51:10 +0200

On Friday 18 November 2005 09:53, Stephen wrote:
> Thanks; I think this one has been the best solution.  I've just drawn
> the sphere with the centre at the camera and the radius of my maximum
> view distance, and it seems to work fine.  (I like to keep it simple,
> and all the talk of Z-buffers and clipping planes didn't mean much to
> me, sorry).

This has one bad side efect:

------------------------------------------------------- clipping plane
        xxxxxxxx ---------------------
        xxxxxXXX---                 -----------
   -------- XXXX                             --------
----                                                ---- sky sphere

Object marked with the X will not be drawn correctly, because the sky
sphere blocks some parts (marked with x) of it.

So if that object is quite big and it should be drawn from quite a big
distance out of the players position, you may get only partial object
appearing from the sky. of course you can avoid this by only drawing
objects that are clearly inside the sky sphere.

I would say that first drawing the sky with Z-buffer writes disabled is
the best way, and as Olof kindly pointed one don't need to clear the
color buffer at all just the Z-buffer.