[gameprogrammer] Re: Sky in OpenGL

  • From: Stephen <gp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:18:28 +0000

Sorry, I spoke too soon - it doesn't work for me, but probably cos I'm doing something wrong.

I'm setting up the openGL with this:
   glu.gluPerspective(45f, height_ratio, 0.1, 30f);

Then I loop through all the objects, which all draw okay, and then the sky:-
       gl.glDisable(GL.GL_DEPTH_TEST);
       glu.gluSphere(Canvas3D.quadratic, DIAMETER, 24, 24);
       gl.glEnable(GL.GL_DEPTH_TEST);

If I increase the 30f in the perspective command, it draws the sky. But at the moment it doesn't, even with the disabling of the depth test. BTW, I'm using Java and JOGL. Any help much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Stephane Marchesin wrote:

Stephen wrote:

I'm having trouble working out what to do about how I implement a sky in my OpenGL game. I originally surrounded the game world with a massive sphere, and drew the image onto the inside, and it worked well (especially when I rotated it). However, I've now set the maximum view distance to be something more sensible, so OpenGL doesn't try to draw everything in the distance. However, this obviously means that the sky sphere now doesn't get drawn. How do other games get round this? I can't think of another way that would still produce a realistic looking sky.

glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); render_sky(); glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);

Stephane