[gameprogrammer] Re: Play FMV

  • From: "Andrei O. Victor" <andrei.victor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:51:34 +0800

I think the safer choice would be C++. Game Engines aren't really all-in-one. You'll end up modifying the engine via C++.

®£$ǖ"v@M$Ħ ¢© $........... wrote:
i have a question....should i start of with c++ or game engines

On 9/18/07, *程嘉* <chengjialeph@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:chengjialeph@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hey, does anybody know how to get the DirectShow now? It's no
    longer included in DirectX, and it says I could find it in Windows
    SDK, for which i can only find the one for Vista (

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2B1E300-F358-4523-B479-F53D234CDCCF&displaylang=en

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2B1E300-F358-4523-B479-F53D234CDCCF&displaylang=en>)
    (Im working under XP), which I actually installed and failed...
Could anybody point me a link for DirectShow or the actual windows
    sdk for xp which includes DirectShow? Thanks!

On 9/16/07, *Husam Zakaria* <hzcppff@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:hzcppff@xxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

        if you want to use MS Visual C++ with ffmpeg you have to check
        this link:
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/general.html#SEC12

On 9/16/07, *DARKGuy .* <dark.guy.2008@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:dark.guy.2008@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Awesome. In my engine I *think* I have the code for
            getting a surface and translating it to an OpenGL texture
            in realtime... gotta see how it turns out after reading
            the tutorial - thanks! :D

            On 9/15/07, *Husam Zakaria* <hzcppff@xxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:hzcppff@xxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

                for ffmpeg, there is a good tutorial to use it with
                SDL on this link
                http://www.dranger.com/ffmpeg/ffmpeg.html
                <http://www.dranger.com/ffmpeg/ffmpeg.html>, it's a
                very helpfull one, but if you want to render the video
                with OpenGL you have to do more work on rendering the
                SDL_Surface to an OpenGL texture.
However I see that smpeg is more easier, but you have
                a support for only mpeg1 files (*.mpg ...), but with
                ffmpeg you can play any format I guess

On 9/15/07, *DARKGuy .* <dark.guy.2008@xxxxxxxxx
                <mailto:dark.guy.2008@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                    What about ffmpeg?? I haven't been able to find
                    anything helpful with SDL and OpenGL with it, only
                    SMPEG and I don't like its license, ffmpeg looks
                    more free to me (I'm no lawyer, but ffmpeg also
                    looks more improved and way better than smpeg).

                    On 9/14/07, *Husam Zakaria* <hzcppff@xxxxxxxxx
                    <mailto:hzcppff@xxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

                        That's depend on what libraries you are using,
                        (DirectX, OpenGL, SDL, SDL with OpenGL ...)
there are alot of libraries that you can use
                        (DirectShow, ffmpeg, theora, smpeg, OpenML ...)
you can use smpeg library with SDL easly On 9/11/07, *程嘉* <chengjialeph@xxxxxxxxx
                        <mailto:chengjialeph@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                            Hi,
I'm wondering what kind of package I will
                            need for playing FMV (movies) in game?
Thanks,
                            Jia

--