[gameprogrammer] Re: New to gameprogrammer.com

  • From: Madison McGaffin <greyhill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:49:43 -0400

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 12:16 -0600, Scott Harper wrote:
> If what you want is 3D programming, the tutorials over at
> nehe.gamedev.net are superb.  Though not for game programming, they
> will get you started quick into OpenGL.
> Beyond that, I think most any of the "(insert platform/API here) Game
> programming" books will give you the foundation of what you need to
> have in a game (menu, event loop, input, sound, logic loop, etc...).
> I personally dislike DirectX, so I recommend an OpenGL programming
> book; but I've also used Java Game Programming for Dummies (which is
> old, so...)

I can't help but second the vote for OpenGL.  It's cross platform and
really well designed.  The NeHe tutorials[1] are really useful.

Also, be sure to take a look at SDL[2] and some of its associated
libraries (i.e. SDL_net, SDL_image, etc.) as, like OpenGL, it'll make
porting your games to Linux/Mac a lot easier.

[1] http://nehe.gamedev.net/
[2] http://www.libsdl.org