[gameprogrammer] Re: New to gameprogrammer.com

  • From: Scott Harper <lareon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 01:22:43 -0600

On 2007/07/16, at 17:49, Madison McGaffin wrote:

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 12:16 -0600, Scott Harper wrote:
If what you want is 3D programming, the tutorials over at
nehe.gamedev.net are superb.  Though not for game programming, they
will get you started quick into OpenGL.
Beyond that, I think most any of the "(insert platform/API here) Game
programming" books will give you the foundation of what you need to
have in a game (menu, event loop, input, sound, logic loop, etc...).
I personally dislike DirectX, so I recommend an OpenGL programming
book; but I've also used Java Game Programming for Dummies (which is
old, so...)

I can't help but second the vote for OpenGL.  It's cross platform and
really well designed.  The NeHe tutorials[1] are really useful.

Also, be sure to take a look at SDL[2] and some of its associated
libraries (i.e. SDL_net, SDL_image, etc.) as, like OpenGL, it'll make
porting your games to Linux/Mac a lot easier.

[1] http://nehe.gamedev.net/
[2] http://www.libsdl.org

Agreed. Using SDL is just so natural to me that I guess I forgot to mention it. That is, natural that I would use it. ^_^ It makes for great portability, and you don't have to do really ANY platform- specific anything to create a window for drawing, grab input, play audio, read CDs, etc... Highly recommended!

-- Scott