[gameprogrammer] Re: New to gameprogrammer.com

  • From: Jason Zaphyr <storm3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:45:18 -0500

I would reccomend that you start off with a nice good Teach Yourself C Book, like one of the Sams books, which will help lay the foundation so that you can then learn C# or C++, now generally C is not a required skill, before learning C++ or C# but it sure helps to have a general C understanding before diving into either C# or C++. The reason that I listed both C# or C++ is that it really is up to you as to which one you move on to after learning C, because there are DirectX libraries using both, there is free versions of the Express edtion Visual compilers for them, and there are no shortage of books about developing an engine, or even making games using an engine such as Torque which has already been pressure tested, and even has commercial games created with the engine. There also are alot of users in the forums that can and will help without much prodding.

I hope this helps you, good luck, happy hunting, and feel free to ask questions of the list as you need.

StOrM3

Joe Lewis wrote:
My name is Joe and I am new to gameprogrammer.com and I was wondering what books and referrences do you preffer for a 16 year old to start game design and programming? I am very interested in gaming and would like to learn how to bring my ideas to life, so any information would help. Thanks!