[gameprogrammer] Re: New to gameprogrammer.com

  • From: "Alan Wolfe" <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:00:07 -0700

I'm not sure what a good book to start out with is, but after you go
through your first "learn directx game programming" type of book here's some
nice books that really help with some advanced game programming topics:

Game Programming Gems (the series) - there are a ton of great articles in
these books about nearly every aspect of game programming.  Worth their
weight in gold as far as im concerned (:

Real Time Collision Detection - the best book on collision detection i have
ever seen.  Every topic is well explained so that an average person can
understand it pretty easily (you dont have to be a mathematician!) and comes
with source code.

Other random out there books...

C++ Neural Networks & Fuzzy Logic - great book for learning about neural
networks and fuzzy logic (AI type stuff but useful for lots of other things
too)

Applied Cryptography - great for learning about cryptography and how to
protect your files and game communication with encryption.

Fractal Vision - fractals are cool and you never know when they might be
useful in a game.  Great explanation (although somewhat dated now!) on
fractals and how you can use them for games and simulation programming.

On 7/16/07, Joe Lewis <kamakazekyd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My name is Joe and I am new to gameprogrammer.com and I was wondering what
books and referrences do you preffer for a 16 year old to start game
design
and programming? I am very interested in gaming and would like to learn
how
to bring my ideas to life, so any information would help. Thanks!