[gameprogrammer] Re: New to gameprogrammer.com

  • From: Scott Harper <lareon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:16:16 -0600

If what you want is 3D programming, the tutorials over at nehe.gamedev.net are superb. Though not for game programming, they will get you started quick into OpenGL.

This article (http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/ makegames/) doesn't go into WRITING the game, but it does offer a pretty straightforward guide to what sorts of games you should try to write first. (Tetris, then Mario, then Gauntlet... that sort of thing.)

Beyond that, I think most any of the "(insert platform/API here) Game programming" books will give you the foundation of what you need to have in a game (menu, event loop, input, sound, logic loop, etc...). I personally dislike DirectX, so I recommend an OpenGL programming book; but I've also used Java Game Programming for Dummies (which is old, so...)

Best recommendation, IMHO, is to go to a book store and look for a RECENT book that covers the API, style, and language you want to use. Game loop theory (I just made that term up) is all pretty much the same, so most game programming books will get it right.

And then have fun!  It's a wicked awesome world, making games! ^_^

-- Scott

On 2007/07/16, at 11:50, Joe Lewis wrote:

My name is Joe and I am new to gameprogrammer.com and I was wondering what books and referrences do you preffer for a 16 year old to start game design and programming? I am very interested in gaming and would like to learn how to bring my ideas to life, so any information would help. Thanks!