[gameprogrammer] Re: Interesting commentary for independent game developers

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:43:44 -0600

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 13:52 +0100, Etali wrote:
> [...]

Make a plan, and stick to it. The one thing that kills most indie game
projects is the temptation to go back and redo what has already been
done. You will learn a *lot* writing each game. You will be very tempted
to use what you have learned to make your current game "better" at the
expense of making it take longer to finish. Don't do it. Write up the
new idea so you can use it later but finish the game you are working on.

I teach a class in game programming. So far all the people who have
taken the class have an idea for a game when they start the class and
most of them have even been working on it, some times for years. But,
not one of them has ever finished a game. I give them 'til the end of
the class to finish a game. They finish it, they pass. They don't finish
it, they fail. 80% finish a game 7 weeks and pass.

At the end of the class most of the students tell me that all they
really needed was a little help on the structure of a game and someone
to stand over them and make them finish it.

So, make a plan, execute the plan. Then do it again using what you
learned.

                Bob Pendleton