[gameprogrammer] Re: C#

  • From: Robbert de Groot <zekaric@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 08:40:59 -0800 (PST)

From my experience,  C# is not faster then C/C++.  I keep hearing arguments to
the contrary but so far they are just arguments.  In real world examples I have
yet to see something to show me I'm wrong.  Just take VS2010 as an example on
how C# is not faster (I believe it's all in C# because it is SOOO MUCH SLOWER
than 2008/2005/2003...)  And all it is is just a freaking text editor (ok ok,
it's doing more than text editing but still, it's pretty pathetically slow
compared to what it replaces.)

JIT = Just In Time (Compiling)

So initially C# source is compiled to some form of p-code but parts of that
p-code at run time will be compiled to machine code.  It's not the only
'interpreted' language that does this though.

Now if they are talking about development time for certain projects then they
may have an argument.  C# is a bit higher level than C++ so it can reduce some
of the coding you would need to do for a similar program in C++.

Robbert de Groot

--- On Mon, 12/13/10, Dheeraj Patni <dheeraj.patni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi,I am a c++ game developer..I like C++(actually love it ) and i like game
programming...
but i see some of the threads like c# is faster than c++ in JIT enviornment (i
even dont know what is JIT???) because it uses cache..and smthing like it bla
bla bla....

then i just becomes sad that from the last 3 years i am just learning c++ and
all is waste...i cant even left c++ because i LOVE it whatever it is hard or
not..
Is that things about c# is true ??? c# is faster than c++ ?? In game
development too???