[gameprogrammer] Re: C#

  • From: "Casey O'Donnell" <caseyodonnell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:10:28 -0500

I'm going to go back to the beginning... Because some of this has
morphed into something else.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On the other hand, C# is a great language and the Mono
>> project has produced a version of C# that runs on Mac OS X and Linux
>> so you can use it on Apple platforms and on all the entertainment and
>> mobile devices that run a version of Linux. So, I can see learning C#
>> while skipping XNA.
>
> Do you view C# as the language that Java should have been?

Having spent a great deal of time with Unity, XNA, and Mono lately,
I'd throw my hat in for C# for many things. I think Java's problem was
that it was both a language and a platform abstraction layer.
Ultimately I think it was it's clunky UI/File/Etc elements that limit
it as a language. C# has some of that, but it is very easy for me to
hook up C# and C/C++. I always found that Java made that clunky (I
spent a lot of time with JNI). C# has focused on the language more
than the platform, which causes issues sometimes, but overall has been
to its benefit.

I'll tell you what though, C# has made me like Objective-C more too.
As a died-in-the-wool C/C++ guy for a long time, I hated Obj-C, but
having spent time with C#, I'm getting less militant all around with
regard to languages.

Ultimately though, languages are tools used to solve a problem. Don't
get too vetted to any one. Use Lua where it makes sense. Use C/C++
where it makes sense. Use Java when the platform demands it. Use shell
scripts where it makes sense. Just for god-sake document and explain
why you made those choses. ;)

Cheers.
Casey