[gameprogrammer] Re: C#

  • From: Jonathan Dearborn <grimfang4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 06:28:38 -0500

When is C# faster than C++?  If the C# VM is written in something like C++,
I can't see how this is true.  Such a comparison would be superficial at
some level.  Just In Time (JIT) compilation would make it just as fast as a
compiled language, save for the JIT step.

However, development time can definitely be faster with C#.  It has more
modern programming structures and paradigms (until C++0x, I hope).

It is important to note that the more popular the language, the harder it is
to replace.  C++ will still be used for a long time even if there were a
suitable replacement.  People are just stubborn that way.  Heck, I know
literally dozens of FORTRAN programmers.

Jonny D