[gameprogrammer] Re: C#

  • From: Dheeraj Patni <dheeraj.patni@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:06:56 +0530

hi,I am a c++ game developer..I like C++(actually love it ) and i like game
programming...
but i see some of the threads like c# is faster than c++ in JIT enviornment
(i even dont know what is JIT???) because it uses cache..and smthing like it
bla bla bla....
then i just becomes sad that from the last 3 years i am just learning c++
and all is waste...i cant even left c++ because i LOVE it whatever it is
hard or not..
Is that things about c# is true ??? c# is faster than c++ ?? In game
development too???

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That is why functional programming is slowly becoming mainstream.
>
> Multicore programming might just be the "killer feature" that will make
> many
> "normal" programmers care about it.
>

> http://www.st.cs.uni-saarland.de/edu/seminare/2005/advanced-fp/docs/sweeny.pdf
>
> --
> Paulo
>

> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I agree with that last statement bob.  Especially since multiprocessing is
>> becoming so important and it hasn't really been a topic that modern
>> languages have tried to address that much.
>>
>> Change is on the horizon for that but not here yet
>>
>> On Dec 12, 2010 1:37 AM, "Bob Pendleton" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at...
>> No, I do not.
>>
>> That is kind of like asking if C is the language that Algol should
>> have been :-). But, a lot more complicated. The relationship between
>> Java. C#, and C++ is very complicated. At a technical level I see both
>> Java and C# as a reaction to the weird syntactic mess that C++ has
>> become. But, you can't forget the history of J++ and C# in
>> relationship to the half a billion dollars MS had to pay Sun for
>> violating their contract. MS first tried to embrace and extend Java
>> into an incompatible mess and when the court gave MS a half a billion
>> dollar spanking for that MS then decided to invent C#. But, C# is
>> *NOT* just a legal way to undermine Java. The C# designers did a good
>> job and came up with a good language. But, not that good and being MS
>> it is mostly only useful on Windows. To bad about that...
>>
>> I really think of Java and C# and experiments that may or may not lead
>> to a language that is as powerful as C++ and Lisp but with a syntax
>> that humans will actually be able to use and remember.
>>
>> We are a long way from being done with the invention of programming
>> languages.
>>
>> Bob Pendleton
>>

>> > Chris

>> --