Re: [foxboro] OSI tags for Foxboro I/A

  • From: "Lowell, Tim:" <Tim.C.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:29:43 -0500

We use PI-SMT in Excel to create new tags.  Which PI version are you at?
We're at version 3, so we have most of the latest PI Windows/Excel
Add-in tools.  If you're at 2.x or lower, you may have to use the old
DOS-like interface.

Generally, each tag has a series of attributes that specify things like
the range, description, which Foxboro Interface it uses, whether it is a
read or a write tag, which FoxAPI list it uses, which I/A tag it is
mapped to, etc.  Either with PI-SMT in Excel or with the older tools,
you specify each attribute for each tag, and then tell PI to create the
tag on the PI Server.  The server then communicates with the Foxboro
Interface and creates a new point in FoxAPI to send data to/from that
point.

Do you have access to the OSI web site?  If you are a PI licensee, they
should have you in their database.  They have all the documentation you
need in either Word or PDF format.

Tim Lowell
Control Systems Engineer
ConocoPhillips Trainer Refinery