Re: [foxboro] Foxboro/Invensys pulls another good one.

  • From: "Neil Martin" <neil_martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:21:52 -0500

Alex,

Thank you for requesting clarification.  What I am saying is that as long
as I am working within my number of DM/Remote DM licenses, the
FoxView/FoxDraw has apparently always been considered a maintenance release
because I have always received the FV/FD upgrades at no additional charge
via our software support agreement.  Basis discussions I had with Foxboro
this morning, and even though I still have a software support agreement,
Foxboro now appears to want to charge big bucks for us to be able to switch
to the version of FV/FD that is fully supported on V6.4 software.  Via our
software support contract, the V6.4 upgrade did not cost us any additional
dollars - V6.4 is a maintenance release.   If V6.4 is a maintenance
release, where is the FV/FD that is fully supported and is a fully
compatible maintenance release for I/A V6.4?  Is the answer FV/FD V99.2.1?
If so, then why is V99.2.1 not advertised as being so?

Neil Martin
Huntsman Corporation
7114 North Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX.  78752
ph) 512-483-0119

                    "Johnson, Alex

                    (Foxboro)"               To:     foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    <ajohnson@Foxboro.       cc:

                    com>                     Subject:     Re: [foxboro]
Foxboro/Invensys pulls another good
                    Sent by:                  one.

                    foxboro-bounce@fre

                    elists.org

                    10/15/02 11:24 AM

                    Please respond to

                    foxboro

Neil,

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying. So please let me set
the
stage:

*          The FV/FD media has always been freely available. (I'm never
been
able to find a package price so I'm forced to assume the media is free.)
*          The FV/DM license has always had a cost.
*          DM and FV licenses are interchangeable. If you own 5 DM licenses
for
a WP, you own the right to use a mix of up to 5 DM/FV executables on the
WP.

For example, If you want to run more than one instance of the DM (or FV) on
a WP, you have to buy a license for each. One of the licenses is included
in
the cost of a WP. The other licenses are purchased separately using one of
the following part numbers:

J0177AA                Additional DM/FoxView (51 Series) SW Lic (5 User)
J0177AB                Additional DM/FoxView (51 Series) SW Lic (10 User)
J0177AC                Additional DM/FoxView (51 Series) SW Lic (20 User)
J0177AD                Additional DM/FoxView (51 Series) SW Lic (50 User)
J0177AE                Additional DM/FoxView (51 Series) SW Lic(100 User)
J0177AH                Additional FoxView DM For The 70 Series
As you can see under Solaris DM and FV licenses are the same thing. There
is
no DM for NT so that license is not offered.

The number of licenses a given station is allowed to run is a configurable
selection is SysDef.

 (A historical note: V3.3 of the I/A Series supported multiple DMs
unofficially. The official support and license terms were part of V4.0 and
later.)

Given all of that, are you saying:

1)         We are now charging for FV media?
2)         We are charging for the upgrade from FV 99.2.1 ot FV8?
3)         We are now charging to move from a DM to FV license?
4)         You've been using "extra" DMs for free and now have to pay?
5)         Something else entirely?

Invensys
10707 Haddington
Houston, TX 77063
713.722.2859 (office)
713.722.2700 (switchboard)
713.932.0222 (fax)
ajohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ajohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
For the latest information on ArchestrA, go to
www.invensys.com/Archestra.html
<http://www.invensys.com/divisions/Archestra.html> .