Re: [foxboro] Foxboro/Invensys pulls another good one.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 04:35:32PM -0500, Corey R Clingo wrote:

> The other reason this disappoints me is that we've coughed up around $100K
> for new WPs in the last 2 years for a Foxview migration, and we have yet to
> do it because of GUI lockup issues.  Maybe we'll get a free FV8 upgrade if
> we and TAC can' t get 99.2.1 to work, if some other info I saw float by on
> the list is correct (yes, they *are* trying, gotta give them credit).  Add
> that to the apparent fact that said new WPs will probably not "run" (read,
> be certified on) Solaris 8/IA 7.0+, and Foxboro hasn't exactly made my Top
> 10 List of Reasons to Come to Work in the last month or so.

OUCH!! Sorry for the shouting, but you touched a nerve here. After literally
_years_ of looking forward to the day the Foxboro would bless a more modern,
supportable version of Solaris (there are very few old timers that remember
2.3.1!), and having been assured by them that it was "coming soon know" I
find I have 50+ Sun boxes that Foxboro has no intention of _ever_ blessing
anything more modern on!

The first answer was "Solaris 8 doesn't run on that hardware", which was a
blatant lie! Worse we will probably wind up with nodes that have mixed
2.5.1, and 2.8 versions of Solaris on them. This is going to be a
nightmare.

My own guess as to the real reason for this is that when Foxboro and Sun
sat down to renegotiate the binary redistribution license, Foxboro bought
the rights to distribute the 64 bit version only. Seems to me this was
pretty stupid on there part for 2 reasons:

1. In the long run, they will spend more money on supporting the older
version, and getting it to inter-operate with the newer version than they
would have spent on the license.

2. It abandons us poor customers with lot's of the older machines, which
by the way are _very lightly loaded. I would not want to explain to
management why all these machines needed upgrading!

Again, sorry for the flame, but it's a _very_ raw nerve with me!

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin