Re: [foxboro] Best method for remote read-write DM/AM?

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:53:19 -0500

On our 6.5.3 system it does no good to set the permissions for the AM in
the environment file, because the am_cmds is what launches the initial
environment, and that line is commented out, so the AM never runs the
initial environment.  You could rectify this of course, but you are then
editing two files.

I have kind of decided to put default/global/early items in the *_cmds or
init.user, and anything that _changes_ when you change environments in the
environment files.  I initially tried to execute all my custom stuff as
external dmcmd/amcmd scripts that I called from the *_cmds files, but that
doesn't work in am_cmds; it never runs the external script.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

"Ron Schafer" <rschafer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/25/2007 06:44 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Best method for remote read-write DM/AM?

Corey,

Thought I would point out how I am launching Foxview kind of customized
to each user's choice. Its based on the local computer name they are on.

== $CLIENTNAME millpc setenv DM_LOCAL N
== $CLIENTNAME millpc setenv ENV1 /opt/customer/env/TMPOperator.env
== $CLIENTNAME millpc dmcmd enable omsets
== $CLIENTNAME millpc dmcmd enable clralm

These are what I have in the fv_cmds file to put the Foxview into
particular environments for each user. This will check the remote
machines name and set the environment based on it. I believe you can
also use the logon username too, but I haven't tried it. I wonder if it
is best to set the am permissions here too or in the environment file?
We don't care about the alarms on our remotes but it should work here
too.

Ronald G. Schafer
10026 Old Ridge Rd.
Ashland Va. 23009