Re: [foxboro] Best method for remote read-write DM/AM?

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:43:41 -0500

Looking at the am_cmds file, it all now makes sense (but Workstation Alarm
Management doesn't mention it, and further makes erroneous statements be
disregarding its existence).  Running the initial environment is commented
out in this file, and all the $AM_LOCAL stuff probably overrides the
inherited protection classes (even if I start the AM after the DM is up,
it does not inherit anything).  wp51_cmds may also have some influence,
though whether things like "disable clralm" have any significance to a DM
(as opposed to an AM) is open to debate.

Guess I'll patch those files.  Conditionally defining $DM_LOCAL and
$AM_LOCAL to something besides "N" should do it.  I don't relish editing
something that will get wiped out in an upgrade, but  I've found there are
a few times on I/A where that is unavoidable.

Thanks for the pointers (you and David).

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

"Boulay, Russ" <russ.boulay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/24/2007 03:27 PM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Best method for remote read-write DM/AM?

Corey,

/usr/fox/wp/data/wp51_cmds  causes all non local DM's to come up with
those =

settings. You can edit that file if needed to remove all remote DM's
from those restrictions. That file also prevents certain AM functions as
well.

If FoxView, the file is fv_cmds

As to the Alarm Manager.
If Alarm Manager is already up and running, then subsequent environment
changes need the pref AM stuff in the environment file.

If Alarm Manager is called up after an environment is already displayed,
then the AM inherits the DM protections.

So,
protect all
unprotect 0,100

dmcmd run /usr/local/pref -$AMNAME " protect all "
dmcmd run /usr/local/pref -$AMNAME " unprotect value 0,100"