Re: [foxboro] Best method for remote read-write DM/AM?

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 16:47:22 -0500

Yes, well, too bad this is not mentioned in the documentation, though it
is listed in a few HHs and numerous CARs.  I'll look there first in the
future.

Epilogue:  I was able to do what I wanted using am_cmds and wp51_cmds. The
control room PC is read-write, but office lurkers coming in on their own
PCs are read-only, all with the same set of environment/*_cmds/init.user
files.  am_cmds apparently ignores the "script" directive (maybe the AM
itself does that), but that was not an insurmountable difficulty.  I
figured the nuts and bolts of doing the access control is better done in
the more-powerful shell scripting environment that the remote user runs to
launch a DM, and the thumbs-up/down conclusion passed to the less-powerful
DM/AM script (*_cmds) where then only a simple yes/no decision need be
made.

Thanks again to everyone for the pointers.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

"Hicks, David" <david.hicks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/26/2007 08:37 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Best method for remote read-write DM/AM?

Corey,

At certain times it is necessary to "protect" or limit access to certain
keys or actions in the AM for any and all users whether remote or local,
either when the workstation is booted or when the remote DM and/or AM is
accessed.

Adding the following line to the bottom of the /usr/fox/wp/data/am_cmds
file facilitates this requirement.

=3D amcmd "protect value xxx"

This will protect the key or action on any and all AM's when it is
started regardless of which environment the DM is launched in.  An
environment change is then required to unprotect the key or action.  The
same string can then be used in the corresponding .env file to
"unprotect" the key or action with an environment change.

=3D amcmd "unprotect value xxx" =

David Hicks
=

Invensys Process Systems