Re: [foxboro] 51 series remote backups

  • From: "Blunier, Mark" <Mark.Blunier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:00:35 -0500

> Here's an easy one (I suspect!).
>=20
> How do I do remote backups (WP's especially) over the nodebus.
> The external tape drive is connected to the AW and at present=20

Shut the machine down to single user mode, (Foxboro came out
with a sheet on how to do this the 'right way' in the last few
months.  I can try to dig this up if you need it). Then run:

/usr/local/backup <tape dumphost>

Note however, that backing up over the nodebus is not a good
idea.  It seems to work with the older WP's, but with the
newer WPs, it will overload the nodebus - DM's showing
smurfed numbers, etc.  If you want to do it over the network,
do it over the 2nd ethernet port.  With some of our later
WP51F boxes, the backup script (provied by Foxboro) was set up
to try to rmount the dumphost. However, rmounts don't work over the
second ethernet port. Since it wasn't needed to complete the backup,
as the WPS didn't have the informix partition that uses the rmount,
that got taken out of the script.

Mark