Re: [foxboro] 51 series remote backups

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:51:33 -0400

Yeah, what he said ;-)

With a 2nd ethernet, you can hang a tape drive off of any station and hit
it just as you would over nodebus, but with less smurfing.  (To be more
specific, you can't do rmount's over the 2nd Ethernet, but
rcp/ftp/NFS/etc. work great.)

Better yet, you can get an old PC (well, OK, a somewhat new PC) with a USB
port, hook one of those external backup hard disks to it, and send the
backup data over the 2nd ethernet to it.  Way faster than tape, and
judging by our experience with helical-scan tapes (e.g., DDS), probably
more reliable.

Or, you can pump the backup data to a file server somewhere and let your
IT department take care of it.  We do this to comply with corporate
directives concerning offsite storage.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

"Johnson, Alex P (IPS)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/27/2006 07:12 PM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] 51 series remote backups

Re: How do I do remote backups (WP's especially) over the nodebus.
Don't.

Do not.

Do not ever.

Why?

The traffic generated by moving a disk image over the Nodebus is going to
interfere with critical traffic.

Use a "2nd Ethernet" to do such things.

Invensys Systems, Inc.
10900 Equity Drive