[elky] Re: Transmission dipstick question

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 10:01:20 -0600

Good thinking about the 700 filter. I'll get one today. And I'll work on the rubber grommet...I'll get a new one, if need be.

@Mary: I think it's the original dipstick...but this old dipstick can't remember for sure. :)

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

On 5/12/2012 8:10 AM, Robert Adams wrote:

Make sure you are using a 700r4 filter with that deep pan. One of the problems with the 2004r is that the stock filter feeds from the top and easily sucks air. The 700r4 filter feeds off the bottom. Even running the 2004r a pint to a quart over full you still get pressure fluctuations due to air getting in. One thing you can't do with a 2004r is go backwards up a steep incline. It will suck air and slip badly.

And like Mike said the tube isn't seated in the trans. You can see the bubble in the tube that seats against the cast aluminum.

                    Robert Adams

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    How far should the transmission dipstick extend into the tranny
    pan?  Here's where the Monte Carlo's stick is when it's fully
    inserted:

    To get the ATF level up past the "Add" mark, the level of ATF
    (when running) would have to be above the pan/body join line.  I
    run an Art Carr deep pan with drain plug, so there's probably 4-5
    inches between the bottom of the pan and the END of the
    dipstick...and the end is prolly 2 inches above the level of the
    filter.

    I've never been really sure about the reading on that stick and at
    one point, I had to add ATF cuz it just wouldn't move.  Obviously,
    it was low.  But looking at this and combining the fact that the
    ATF and the bottom of the pan looked fine (no broken parts, no
    burned smell) I'm just wondering if the problem is just low ATF
    level.  I think I'm gonna put the pan back on and put the
    recommended amount of ATF plus 2 quarts to make up for the depth
    of the deeper pan...but any insight on this would be appreciated.

    In other news, I've ordered new long-tube headers, alternator and
    PS pump brackets and Chris is looking into a locking transmission
    mount for me.  Oh...and a set of 2" drop spindles to get the nose
    of the car down.

    Progress is good, but now it's time for a bite to eat and bed.