[elky] Re: Cable

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:10:12 -0500

This is the speed test: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Charter cable has the worst customer ratings (59%) in the worst industry
(TV service): http://www.theacsi.org/acsi-results/acsi-commentary-may-2012
Comcast isn't much better at 61%, in years past Comcast has had lower
ratings than the IRS.  The IRS!  They've even changed the name of their
product to "Xfinity" since Comcast has such a poor reputation.  Problem is
Comcast is the only cable company in my area.

Utilities are a necessary evil, but I fight them every chance I get, I know
the customer service rep can't hang up, so I just stay on the phone
hammering them until they provide a reasonable solution.  One victory is
I'm down to only one service from AT&T (cell).  I use Ooma for phone, which
is ~$4 a month.

I just called Comcast about my bill, a few months ago they "gave" me a
premium channel since I complained about their myriad problems, then
proceeded to charge me for the channel once the free period was up.  They
were also charging me for a "Channel Guide" magazine (that we were not
reading, just recycling).  There's $3.95/month for something I never asked
for.  I was able to get $20 out of them for their M-cards not working...
better than nothing.