[duxuser] Re: request for opinions

  • From: "Cindy Mock" <cinmoc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:06:08 -0500

Good point. I suppose if I were brailling this for a particular student
or person, I may choose to adapt it depending on the student's skills.
However, if you are thinking about the general braille population, it
would be better to braille the exact print copy - in my opinion.

Maybe its time to end this discussion topic?
Cindy

Cindy Mock, M.Ed./TVI
Itinerant Vision Support Teacher
Student & Social Services, SpEd
Berks County Intermediate Unit
610-987-8408
cinmoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

>>> "Bruce Toews" <Bruce@xxxxxxxx> 2/25/2009 3:02 PM >>>

If braille were a language and dots 23456 represented the word with I
might agree with you. However, braille is not a language, and
dots23456
represent the letters w, i, t, h.
If we start writing our own rules on how to braille things based on
our
personal preferences, then a blind person sitting in a restaurant is
not
able to confidently go from restaurant to restaurant with braille
menus
and know what to expect. A father goes into a restaurant with his
child.
The child says "What does the w with the line after it mean?" But the
braillist has taken it upon him- or herself to interpret the menu
beyond
what is written, so Daddy doesn't see any  w with a line after it, and
is thus clueless.

Bruce

--
  Bruce Toews
  dogriver@xxxxxxxx

* options by visiting //www.freelists.org. (
* Duxbury Systems' web site is http://www.duxburysystems.com (
http://www.duxburysystems.com/ )
* * *

IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This communication is intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This e-mail
contains information from the Berks County Intermediate Unit that may
be privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately and permanently
Thank you.