[duxuser] An apostrophe s in Microsoft Word

  • From: gpatterson002@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:10:00 +0000

Occasionally I encounter text in Microsoft Word that uses the apostrophe s at
the end of a word. When Duxbury translates the apostrophe s into braille, four
braille cells are used. They are: dots 3-5-6, dot 6, dots 5-6 and dots 2-3-4.
In the print document, JAWS pronounces the two printed characters as
apostrophe s. The Alva braille display shows the usual apostrophe and the
letter s. JAWS reports the ascii value of the apostrophe as 8217. If I erase
the purported apostrophe, and then enter the apostrophe to the right of the
semicolon, the braille translation is perfect. What is done in Microsoft Word
to produce this unusual symbol?

I am a casual Microsoft Word user, so I would like to know the cause of this
irregularity.

--
Gary Patterson