[duxuser] Re: An apostrophe s in Microsoft Word

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:44:48 -0500

Susan,

If smart quotes are on, does DBTW handle the apostrophe correctly in the phrase "John's book"?

Steve

On Tuesday 3/28/06 15:00 Susan wrote:

Actually, you are better off having smart quotes turned ON. We don't use
the single quotes in the US very often, but if they do appear, the only
way DBT translates it correctly is if the smart quotes are used
(otherwise the single quotes are recognized as apostrophes). For
example, try the following two lines, with and without smart quotes. The
second line translates incorrectly when straight quotes are used.

"I don't like milk."
'I don't like milk.'

That said, I don't know how quotes are used on the other side of the
pond, and if George gets the same results when using BAUK rules.

Susan