[duxuser] Re: An apostrophe s in Microsoft Word

  • From: Susan <chrn3292@xxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:00:37 -0600

Actually, you are better off having smart quotes turned ON. We don't use
the single quotes in the US very often, but if they do appear, the only
way DBT translates it correctly is if the smart quotes are used
(otherwise the single quotes are recognized as apostrophes). For
example, try the following two lines, with and without smart quotes. The
second line translates incorrectly when straight quotes are used.

"I don't like milk."
'I don't like milk.'

That said, I don't know how quotes are used on the other side of the
pond, and if George gets the same results when using BAUK rules.

Susan

George Bell wrote on 3/28/2006, 12:39 PM:

Hi Catherine,

The version very often is the issue. I cannot find a problem with the
current DBT, even with SmartQuotes turned on in Word.