[duxhelp] Re: Embosser setup confusion

  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:07:50 +0100

Hi Peter,

My comments are based on the GLOBAL: Embosser Setup and 8th June
untested build.

> 1. When a New configuration is created, should it be selected in the
list automatically?

Yes, but only for the purposes of making changes to Lines, Characters,
margin, etc..!  Since the newly added configuration is not selected by
default, there is a very serious danger that a user may make changes to
the wrong configuration.  (And get murdered by his or her boss!)

But also remember, by simply moving focus to a specific configuration in
GLOBAL Embosser setup, THAT becomes the default configuration when you
create a new document.  So when the new configuration IS correctly
selected and amended, unless the user changes the selection, THAT
becomes the default.

Personally speaking, I would like to see a "Default" configuration
appropriately marked "(Default)" in the list. (and stored in the
Registry).

Then, similar to adding a printer in Windows, you are asked, "Do you
wish to make XXX your default configuration for all new documents?"

> 2. When a configuration is deleted, should another configuration be
selected?  If so, which?

If the suggestion above was implemented, select the Default.  If the
Default is selected for deletion, two dialogs:-
1)  You are about to delete the Default configuration XXX, are you sure
you want to do this?"
2)  You have deleted the default configuration, you must now select a
new default.

> 3. Should configuration changes be made permanent even if Cancel is
used in the "Global, Embosser Setup" or "Document,  Embosser Setup"
dialog?

(Tries to think cautiously!)

I'd say "No" here, on the basis that if changes are made, the user is
(or should be) asked to confirm changes anyway.