[dokuwiki] Re: Proposal: theme colour control

  • From: Anika Henke <a.c.henke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:22:31 +0100

Matthias Grimm wrote:

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:25:53 +0000
Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

number of constants makes that much easier to handle.

Easier for the theme editor to understand would be to name the
patterns
according there function. For instance __link_external__ for an
external
link or __tab_border__ for the table border. This could look like
this:

I don't agree with moving the individual style colours. All these elements are defined in the style sheet, generally in one place only.

[...]

In general these all are single style rules. As mentioned above, I can't see the point in shifting their place of definition.

I don't want to shift anything. All I try to do is to extend the
dokuwiki way of doing templates and make my own templates more
robust against dokuwiki style changes.

In the past I copied the design.css and layout.css from the default
template and modified them, put in my own colours and more.
Unfortunately dokuwiki is still under development and things (especially
styles) are subject to change. Those changes regularly broke my
template.

But that has nothing to do with style.ini, has it?

Those style changes were all necessary and we all "suffered" and had our templates re-designed again and again ...
If it helps making a better wiki, it's good. :-)

In normal cases a template developer would only release templates that fit a certain release. But the last few weeks were not normal anyway ...

In future I want to use the original default template styles as they are
and add all template specific styles in an additional stylesheet file.
The problem are colours here, because they are used very often and if I
overloaded all colour definitions in my template specific stylesheet,
the  result would be another copy of design.css and would bring me no
step further.
Why is the problem colours? Do you mean taking over (nearly) everything from the default template -- except the colours?

A colour table in style.ini works as an additional abstraction layer that would be easy to keep stable, so that the template design won't change even if new styles with colour definitions were added to design.css.

But the only thing that stayed stable during the last few months was the style.ini (of the default template) ...!? So I don't really understand what you're trying to say ...

I hope I made my problem more clear now. If you have other suggestions
to make template updating more easy, you are very welcome.

The best way to keep template development easy, would be to define certain rules (how DokuWiki styles and html should work). But as there are no real rules (and not many patterns to abstract them from), it's hard to follow them ... ;-)

And there is still the problem that a template developer has not much power over the innards of tpl_content(). That would solve everything, but is way too far to reach within the next century. ;-)