[dokuwiki] Proposal: theme colour control

  • From: Matthias Grimm <matthiasgrimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:46:35 +0100

Hi,
during the last days I adapted my theme to the new release and found
that the color control via style.ini reaches not very far. In the past
I changed design.css and layout.css to match my needs but this produces
extra work with every new release of dokuwiki.

Furthermore the definition of a color like this: __lightgray__="#f5f5f5"
makes not much sense to me.

Easier for the theme editor to understand would be to name the patterns
according there function. For instance __link_external__ for an external
link or __tab_border__ for the table border. This could look like this:

---- style.ini example (partly) ----
__link_visited__ = "Purple"
__link_extern__  = "#062efa"

__text_headline__= "#000000"

__button_light__ = "#bfc9fa"
__button_back__  = "#5d77fa"
__button_dark__  = "#0524c1"
__button_text__  = "#ffffff"
__input_text__   = "#000000"
__input_back__   = "#e8ebfa"

__bar_back__     = "#ffffff"
__bar_line__     = "#062efa"
--------

I have two problems/questions regarding this approach:

1. To give the user fine grained control about all elements in
   dokuwiki, a lot of definitions have to be placed in style.ini and
   have to be parsed each time a page is called. The more statement in
   style.ini the more time it will cost to parse them. I hope the cache
   mechanism will moderate the effect but nevertheless it might cause
   some losses in performance.

2. All my recent patches to CSS files were filtered by Anika. Is she
   the one and only to change dokuwikis CSS? I have to be sure here
   before I start this time consuming task. This work should be done
   only once. ;-)

In this context I have another question: How are plugins themeable? In
case of the user manager I tried to change the CSS for the disabled
button, but the default css file seems to be priviledged.

  Best regards
   Matthias