[dokuwiki] Re: Proposal: theme colour control

  • From: Matthias Grimm <matthias.grimm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:27:25 +0100

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:25:53 +0000
Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> number of constants makes that much easier to handle.
> > Easier for the theme editor to understand would be to name the
> > patterns
> > according there function. For instance __link_external__ for an
> > external
> > link or __tab_border__ for the table border. This could look like
> > this:
> >
> I don't agree with moving the individual style colours.  All these
> elements are defined in the style sheet, generally in one place only.
[...]
> In general these all are single style rules.  As mentioned above, I
> can't see the point in shifting their place of definition.

I don't want to shift anything. All I try to do is to extend the
dokuwiki  way of doing templates and make my own templates more
robust against dokuwiki style changes.

In the past I copied the design.css and layout.css from the default
template and modified them, put in my own colours and more.
Unfortunately dokuwiki is still under development and things (especially
styles) are subject to change. Those changes regularly broke my
template.

With each new version (sometime after each darcs pull) I had to check
for new or modified styles in the default template and update my own.
This is very time consuming and anoying work I want to get rid of.

In future I want to use the original default template styles as they are
and add all template specific styles in an additional stylesheet file.
The problem are colours here, because they are used very often and if I
overloaded all colour definitions in my template specific stylesheet,
the  result would be another copy of design.css and would bring me no
step further.

A colour table in style.ini works as an additional abstraction layer
that would be easy to keep stable, so that the template design won't
change even if new styles with colour definitions were added to
design.css.

I hope I made my problem more clear now. If you have other suggestions
to make template updating more easy, you are very welcome.

  Best Regards
    Matthias