[dokuwiki] Re: Dokuwiki as electronic Labnotebook

  • From: "Jerry Schwartz" <jerry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:45:34 -0400

[JS] I don't know that there's //any// standard file storage that provides
that kind of security. I've done plenty of binary editing of files (for
completely legitimate purposes, of course), and even storage metadata.
Changing a file without leaving fingerprints is easy, if you have total
control over the system.

You can use encryption or checksums to make it hard to modify a file without
it being obvious that it's been tampered with, but if the algorithm is known
someone could replace the file with an equally legitimately-looking but
completely different file.

Isn't the real reason for tamper-proofing lab notes to make sure that you,
yourself, don't go back and falsify your records?

A security expert will tell you that you can't make a system tamper-proof
unless you secure physical, as well as electronic, access. The bottom line is
that you can't protect your files against the person who has the keys. In this
case, that would be you.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated