[dokuwiki] Re: Dokuwiki as electronic Labnotebook

  • From: Michael Kirchner <michael.kirchner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:30:15 +0100

Hi Dominic,

Am 25.03.2011 14:22, schrieb Dominic Boisvert:
> I don't have a definit eanswer to your questions. So I'll answer by
> asking questions.

OK.

> First, check the legislation of the State you work in. In Quebec, the
> law says that, in court, it is to the plaintiff to prove that the
> defendant has tempered the files. If this is also the case in your
> legislation, it relieves you of part of the burden. So what does the
> State laws say about eDiscovery and electronic documents in court? Check
> also with your university rules (I just assume your in a university).
> Mayby they don't permit the use of electronic laboratory notebook.

IANAL. These are tough questions for a chemist. I am in Germany and I am
not aware of any rules on this subject by my university. As technology
does move faster than law, I guess it might be difficult to find an
explicit law for ELNs. If it comes to court, you would be asked for
documentation. If these are not written but electronically, I guess I
would have to prove that my e-files are as good as paper-files.

There is an ISO 17025 on labs, that also has something to say on ELN.
"Essentially, the requirements are that the software has been designed
and implemented to be suitable for its intended purposes. ... Security,
audit trails, prevention of unauthorized changes without substantial
collusion of otherwise independent personnel ... and similar tests are
fundamental." If you are interested you might want to read wikipedia on
Electronic_lab_notebook.

> Also, would it be possible for you to use the server logs has evidence?
> Dokuwiki is installed on a server and is thus part of a system, so other
> part of the system can serve to monitor file activities in your Dokuwiki
> installation.

Yes, that would be good. I'll check on that.

Regards,
Michael