[ddots-l] Re: Question about laptops

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:11:23 -0400

Most dell laptops have an application key next to the top, by the pause and
print screen  buttons. All the latitudes I've owned and used do.
Also, again most dell laptops, and I've seen it on toshibas as well, if you
hold the FN key (usually found on the bottom left corener, either before or
after the controll key), the keys "7, 8, 9, 0, U, I, O, P, J, K, L,
semicolon (;), M, period (.) and slash (/)and " become a numPad.
I would personally recommend a business level laptop, like the latitude line
of dells, the upper range pavillions from hp, gateway's business line, or
even toshiba's top model satellites. Beware with toshiba though, their lower
level satellites, like those found a walmart and such have overheating
problems. I've repaired quite a few of those where the CPU and/or GPU needed
a new coat of thermal compound.
But the business level have more connectivity options, are usually equipped
with capabilities to be used overseas, and contain the better chipsets and
components, including video/graphics cards.
One last thing to beware of, some of the dell inspirons, and not sure if
others too, are starting to by default assign the f keys to regular laptop
functions like volume, turning on and off the various antennas etc. To be
able to use the f keys for windows purposes, you actually have to hold down
the fn key, so it becomes a bit more conversum. I just prepared laptop for a
customer, and it had  this feature (or not), and I didn't look much, but not
sure if they provide a setting to revert the keys to their original use, or
if they flip it so you have to press the fn key to access the alternative
functions (as it normally is), but just beware.

HTH, D!J!X!