[ddots-l] ChordStrum.cal

  • From: "Phil Halton" <philhalt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:51:33 -0500

Hello listers,

A while back I mentioned a CAL program I was working up to enable chord strumming. Well, I've been working like a dog on this software and have probably over 150 hours of development into it now. The good news for me is that its essentially finished and I'm doing final testing and working up the documentation for it(the easy part).

It features the ability to:
Set the span of chord tones (the seperation of chord tones in ticks)

Scale and reverse scale the span by percentages (increases, or decreases if reverse scaling, span of latter chord tones an additional x%)

set velocity of chords with different settings available for upstrokes and downstrokes. Also allows for scaling and reverse scaling of chord tone velocities.

Set duration of chords, with ability to randomly adjust durations of individual chord tones for a "looser" feel.

All settings are made at runtime, but you can also adjust program settings "on the fly" from within the sequence itself through the use of "chord events" which are manually embedded notes from the zero octave that the program responds to by adjusting settings accordingly, and then discarding from the sequence. These "chord event" markers can be combined in different ways for different effects like upstroke, reverse velocity scaling, linear span etc.

Its fairly powerful and flexible compared with most CAL programs I've seen. Now that I've encoded all the features I thought useful, all that remains is to put it through its paces and see how these features combine, and just what they're capable of producing.

My goal in all this has been to produce a program that will answer the need for a flexible and easy to use way to simulate realistic guitar rhythm patterns from a MIDI controller. As much as possible, I have kept the emphasis on intuitiveness and simplicity of use. The biggest problem with CAL scripts is that basically, you have no real idea what they will do as there is virtually no documentation that accompanies them. So, I am writing up a full length documentation as well as a few sammple Sonar projects showing its use.

If anyone(preferably a guitar player with plenty of Sonar experience) would be interested in doing a little beta testing, please contact me off-list at:

philhalt@xxxxxxxxxxx