[ddots-l] Re: A SUPER BEGINNER Question

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <danrugman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:48:53 -0000

Hi Dave,

Don't worry about being a beginner, everyone has to be at least once! I think one of the best things you can do is read through the tutorials that come with CT, especially the ones about MIDI and hardware. In the mean time here's a few facts that might hel to clear things up.

As Kevin said, audio and MIDI are two very different things. Audio data represents the actual sounds that come out of speakers or that are recorded by mics or generated by keyboards. MIDI is a code that different keyboards, modules or software synthesisers use to comunicate with each other but it isn't sound.

EG: you have a MIDI keyboard connected to a MIDI module which is then connected to an amp which is connected to a speaker. When you press a key on the keyboard it generates two pieces of data, a note on signal and a pitch signal. These are two numbers, the first being a time code in measures, beats and ticks, and the second being a number between 0 and 127 (60 is middle C). These are sent to the module which immediately generates an audio signal at the pitch you asked for. This sound is sent on to the amp which boostes it and sends it on to the speaker which actually makes the noise. When you release the key, a note off signal is sent to the module telling it to stop generating the audio signal. The signal between the keyboard and module is MIDI, where as the signal between the module and amp is an audio signal.

Where this gets confusing is with devices that have both MIDI and audio capabilities. The keyboard you have is obviously one of those. The thing to do is think of it as two separate bits of kit, one for audio and one for MIDI. When you play the keyboard, MIDI events (note on/off, pithc, etc) are sent to the synthesiser components, which generate the sounds. The clever bit is that you can control the synthesiser components from another MIDI device. Here's how your system could work.

You connect the MIDI components of the keyboard to the computer with the USB cable. You might need to install drivers for it depending on what keyboard you have. You then connect the audio out on your keyboard to the audio in on the soundcard and the audio out on your soundcard to an amp or monitors.

Why bother I hear you ask! The point is that you can record the MIDI signals on a MIDI track in Sonar and then edit the events. This means that you can correct mistakes, quantise rhythms and do any number of other things to effect the way that the synthesiser will play the music. Every time you hit play in Sonar, the MIDI data will be sent to your keyboard, which will generate the sounds as if you were playing it directly. When your happy with the changes you made, you can play the song again and record the audio coming out of the keyboard in Sonar on a different (audio) track. After this, you can manipulate the audio with built in software effects processors. When all this is done you can export the audio as a wave file and burn it on to CD.

The exact way you choose to have your system set up will depend on what kind of mixer and soundcard you have. The important thing to get across is that the audio and MIDI editing facilities of Sonar mean that you can do things that you could never do with the hardware alone. It may feel like a bit of an up hill struggle at first but its well worth it in the end.

Hope this helps,

Dan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Wilkinson" <davewilkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>