[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:18:09 +0100

In message <4fb726547fbbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Brian Bailey <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <npejDlEqU4ZIFwUZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
> <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <4fb66bd462bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Brian Bailey
>> <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>>That seems to be more than slightly paradoxical. Surely, the
>>>development of OvatPro has already progressed well beyond what might be
>>>called the basic requirements. It would, therefore, be interesting to
>>>know what you have in mind.

>> OLE support WMF support Tables MS Word import A brand new user interface
>> for Windows Sorting out some of the bugs that have been allowed to
>> persist

>>>in the main, but the very constraint offered by legacy file formats is
>>>I feel the very reason preventing the expansion of the use of RISC OS
>>>software on this and other platforms. It is certainly a significant

>> That is a good point, the DDL format is much more extendable than the
>> binary one - sometimes new features have been limited to fit in the old
>> file format.

>> Although DDL has its charms, one would realistically replace it with
>> XML. That is just another addition for the above list.

> Plus, PDF export.

> OK, David, we now have at least some kind of list, some kind of focus for
> further discussion.

> In spite of your reservations, there are possibilities, some kind of a
> glimmer, of a practical commercial scheme out of the several
> suggestions which have been made, which could be costed.

Yes and 70 people are there with financial backing already. I am told
that there are also many others who do not tap into this line or to
News. I have the list of backers ready and hope fully more will join.
This a serious thing for us. I asked a PC main user are there many
authors you can speak to directly and the answer is no it is all MS.

Alan