[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: ovationpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ovation Pro)
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:19:07 +0100

I have used Ovation Pro on RISCOS for many years and latterly on Windows also.

It is my first choice for all routine work and I prefer the Riscos to the
Windows version because the menu system is so much more direct.

The windows version has been invaluable when sending documents to our new
7400DXF colour printer/finisher because it can handle a mixture of Black and
White and Colour pages easily. When windows programs output to the printer
there is a severe danger of accidentally creating a B/W page which has
inadvertant and invisible colour. This increases the printing cost by a factor
of SEVEN TIMES and our first issue of our local magazine overspent by almost a
thousand pounds as a result.

Using Ovation Pro you can check each apparently B/W picture and convert it to
duotone quickly and easily without using any other program. Duotone is a
misnomer it is actually indistinguishable from greyscale.

We even print from windows programs to jpegs and import these into OPro for
printing. (There are automatic ways of doing this) This enables us to have
mixtures of colour and B/W pages with no excess because the B/W pages have
somehow become invisible colour.

(NB invisible colour occurs when the program asks for CYM(K) mixture to
represent black)

OPro can also edit the colour balance etc of any image without having to
recourse to the original software. When we are receiving material derived from
almost every bitmap editor ever written this is a huge advantage.

As a result of all this it is far easier to compose in OPro than in any windows
program we have found.

The only difficulty is in importing material sent in Windows formats eg WORD
and PUBLISHER. If OPro could do this it would be by far the best DTP on the
market. We currently work around this by printing to jpegs from the original or
,in the last resort, converting to text.

John

--