[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:34:20 +0100

In message <4fb45d73famonster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robert Greenfield <monster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

How would we (and David) like it to be enhanced?
What is 'missing' in our opinions?

One problem is that there is an awful lot that could be added. Ask 20 different people and you'll get 20 different suggestions, all of them reasonable.

The problem is that there is no single improvement which would make the program instantly viable.

My current disillusion with Windows is due to the realisation that years of work are now needed just to add the basic requirements.

Often in the past people have said "add feature A and I will buy it", having added A they then turn around and say "do you seriously expect me to use a program that lacks feature B".

Why not make DDL standard OvPro format and leave the binary one for

Because for most users this would make no difference.

- I'd like a 'screen redraw' button to clear the occasional detritus left
by processes.

I'd like to see the bugs that cause this fixed.

Let schools/teachers know that they can still use their old Impression
files even though they now use Windows.

One interesting aspect of the demise of Acorn was how many documents must have been dumped along with all the computers in schools. This discussion began with me talking about getting someone's book from Impression to Word format. It is hard to believe that no one wrote a Word translator in about 1995. It is perhaps a bit late now.