[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Phil Dennison <dennison@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:16:38 -0700

People at school appear to be impressed that I can create .pdf files. Is
this built into OvPro for Windows? Average users would like that.
They might even enjoy using OvPro. Noone I know likes using Word.

I think that last statement says a lot. A large proportion of Windows users have never used anything else. In their heads, what a computer can do is synonymous with what their computer can do. Many use Word like a typewriter, and have no idea of the difference between, say, a text file and a Word document. Those of us who have used minority platform are aware of all kinds of issues which just seem complicated to a Windows only person.

People don't like Word, but most have it and use it and don't even consider an alternative might exist. My main complaint against Microsoft/Windows is that it lowers peoples expectations of what a computer can do. In terms of reliability, complexity and quality of output.

I have no idea on how an excellent product like OPW could reach a mass (or even moderately large) Windows market under these conditions. A real niche usage for a smaller number of high-paying commercial users might work, but I don't know if this exists.

I mainly use Word on a Mac these days. I hate it, but an important part of my job is creating documents with contributions from a selection of people who all use Word. It is problematic enough dealing with Windows Mac user's parts and the various methods people use to create diagrams and references.

Phil Dennison