[darkagebritain] Re: Aetius' fourth consulship

  • From: "hotmail \(vortigernstudies\)" <vortigernstudies@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <darkagebritain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:41:44 +0200

Hi Dane,

It's not not said that he 'never could be', but it's also not said that he
needs to be the same man.  Constantines and Theodosioi are all over the
place, names like Bassus and Symmachus are to be found as consuls all over
the 4th and 5th c, obviously not the same men due to age differences. So in
theory it could be another Aetius. The difficult part is, as Thompson
admits, that only Hydatius in far-off Spain reports this fact - but then
Hydatius reports other factiods not reported by eastern chronists.

I think the main point to be considered is that Aetius cannot be in two
places at once: the western Aetius, working in his own jurisdiction, is
shadowing Attila. He is reported as having only a small force (apparently
the Goths withdrew their support now that Attila left Gaul?). The eastern
Aetius however, working for Marcian (NOT 'our' Aetius' lord and master) is
sent with a large enough force to attack the Huns homelands. Hydatius is
obviously not referring to an attack on Attila in Italy, but way back in the
Huns' rear. Hydatius does not need to say anything about an eastern or
western general, if you command eastern forces on orders of Constantinople
you're an eastern general :)

Aetius cannot be in two places at once (both in Italy in 452 and north of
the Danube in 452), nor can he be serving two lords at once (I have yet to
encounter a Western patrician who was also an Eastern dux).

The consular list indeed mentions 'an' Aetius as consul, but that does not
mean he was the same one either. But even if the Aetius from the consular
list is Flavius Aetius, the general from Hydatius is probably a different
man anyway.
Do we have sources confirming the 4th consulship of Flavius Aetius outside
the consular list?

Best,
Robert
Vortigern Studies