[darkagebritain] Re: Aetius' fourth consulship

  • From: "Dane Pestano" <dane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <darkagebritain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 15:46:08 +0100

Hi Robert and Mat

Good stuff. But why could this Aetius not be `our Aetius'? (Hydatius refers
to both as Aetio Duce)  He had recently defeated the Hun in Gaul in 451 and
would be available to take them on in Italy in 452, having made sure the
Visigoths had returned home. Gibbon says that Aetius harried Atilla with a
smaller force as Atilla made his way through Italy. This may be what
Hydatius is referring to. Or is Gibbon using Hydatius to make this
connection. Hydatius doesn't seem to indicate it is an eastern General? He
just says that Aetius commanded the auxiliaries sent by Marcian.

The consular lists do seem to list Aetius as 4th consul according to
Mommsen, so I agree with you in that it's not at all clear there was an
eastern general of the same name.

Regards
Dane