[csdn-sa] Re: New Web Pages

  • From: David Lloyd <lloy0076@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: csdn-sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 02:22:23 +1030

Ian,

> Yes, nothing much at all. You pulled out the Meta values that help the
> site get listed on search engines. No idea why you thought that
> getting listed wasn't of any benefit to us. <sigh>

Actually, the CSDN appears on the first or second page of google via the
freelists archives. For some reason this one has itself listed:

* //www.freelists.org/archives/csdn-sa/11-2002/fullthread2.html

This page happens to be listed fourth on anzwers:

* http://www.adam.com.au/lloy0076/csdn/

Personally I haven't the faintest idea whether that page has anything to
with the Community Software Distribution Network or not. This one is at
9:

If one gets particularly specific at google with a strange search such
as "csdn adelaide" one turns up:

* http://www.adam.com.au/lloy0076/csdn/

And none of the sites that happened to cause them to get listed happen
to have meta tags. I'd say that a site with a url something like
(http://www.airnet.com.au/~ilox/csdn/index.html) has been up long enough
to be noticed by some of the search engines but it doesn't seem to have
been listed despite its use of meta tags.

And a number of mentions in this mailing list whose messages are
archived.

> > I haven't seen ANY non-text-editor html
> >  editor produce clean HTML.
>
> What have you been smoking?

You assume that I am having a go at the meta tags.

> Nothing else of importance changed that I can see. Hardly worth the
> effort <G>

Look, personally I don't believe that the meta tags make any difference
at all to any of the search engines that matter. I might put them back
when I happen to organise a more permanent home for the web pages.

DSL

(now, I wonder when we will start talking about getting Linux/Community
Software into the community rather than babbling on about the merits or
lack thereof of having meta tags in web pages :( )
--
This is the Computer Software Distribution Network - SA