[cryptome] Re: Wget: Was Re: Ask Zelda

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 18:50:35 +0100

On 06/09/14 15:42, Aftermath wrote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

On Saturday, September 6, 2014, Bill St. Clair <billstclair@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:billstclair@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM, doug
    <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx
    <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx');>>
    wrote:

        Hi Shaun & Colleagues,

        Whilst reading up on Stallman, I came across this bit of linux
        or gpl software called wget in the article.  On looking it up
        on url:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

        I still didn't really understand a word of it. Anyone care to
        take the time what it is, what it is for, is it easy to use
        and what advantages or disadvantages it has over any similar
        proprietary or free software...if there is any?  Would it be
        worth my while installing it and learning to use it...for
        instance...

    ​wget is a wonderful tool for archiving web sites. I use it
    whenever somebody whose web content I like dies or decides to go
    off the net, to preserve their content. Yes, Brewster Kahle's
    archive.org <http://archive.org> does that, too, but I often want
    my own copy.

    wget has a huge number of options, but there are only a few you
    care about when archiving a web site:

      wget -mkc http://lisplog.org/

    That downloads my lisplog.org <http://lisplog.org> web site to the
    directory "./lisplog.org/ <http://lisplog.org/>" on the local machine.

    -m is the mirror option

    -k says to convert links, so that any links in the downloaded
    files will always refer to the local copy, not the web copy

    -c is the continuation option. Should the first try stop
    prematurely, this allows you to try again without redownloading
    what you already have.
    ​
    -Bill