[cryptome] Re: Wget: Was Re: Ask Zelda

  • From: "Bill St. Clair" <billstclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 09:40:13 -0400

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hi Shaun & Colleagues,
>
> Whilst reading up on Stallman, I came across this bit of linux or gpl
> software called wget in the article.  On looking it up on url:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget
>
> I still didn't really understand a word of it.  Anyone care to take the
> time what it is, what it is for, is it easy to use and what advantages or
> disadvantages it has over any similar proprietary or free software...if
> there is any?  Would it be worth my while installing it and learning to use
> it...for instance...

​wget is a wonderful tool for archiving web sites. I use it whenever
somebody whose web content I like dies or decides to go off the net, to
preserve their content. Yes, Brewster Kahle's archive.org does that, too,
but I often want my own copy.

wget has a huge number of options, but there are only a few you care about
when archiving a web site:

  wget -mkc http://lisplog.org/

That downloads my lisplog.org web site to the directory "./lisplog.org/" on
the local machine.

-m is the mirror option

-k says to convert links, so that any links in the downloaded files will
always refer to the local copy, not the web copy

-c is the continuation option. Should the first try stop prematurely, this
allows you to try again without redownloading what you already have.
​
-Bill