[cryptome] Wget: Was Re: Ask Zelda

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 14:27:59 +0100

Hi Shaun & Colleagues,

Whilst reading up on Stallman, I came across this bit of linux or gpl software called wget in the article. On looking it up on url:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

I still didn't really understand a word of it. Anyone care to take the time what it is, what it is for, is it easy to use and what advantages or disadvantages it has over any similar proprietary or free software...if there is any? Would it be worth my while installing it and learning to use it...for instance...

On 06/09/14 13:15, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
Hi Dougie

Aldrich is on my reading list as well and has been for some time(just haven't got round to acquiring the book yet)

With regard to windows/Linux etc. Microsoft have got their drily little fingers on the Linux code and are reportedly contributing about two thirds of the code to the core program.which ultimately means that Microsoft will be pushing the Linux platform into a proprietary status. This will be a gradual process over time so that it does not get noticed by the majority of end users of Linux based software.

Bill Gates sidekick is reported to have said "Linux is a cancer that must be strangled". Increasingly when users buy ready made software they are basically paying money to be told what they can and cannot do with their software( and hardware too) it is that increasing restriction that open source software eschews and it is what corporate entities find irksome because open source software puts control. and by extension responsibility right into the lap of the ultimate user.( it is the control element of open source that corporates do't like)

OK that was kind of sort of off topic but since you mentioned Ubuntu somewhere and took time out to read up on Stallman. I thought I would try in my feeble way to explain the difference between open source versus proprietary software.

ATB

Shaun