[cryptome] Re: Ask Zelda

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 11:47:57 +0100

Hi Shaun,
Tx for that little synopsis. I have downloaded it and am looking forward to reading it myself. I am reading the book on the unexpurgated open source history of GCHQ written by Richard Aldrich, the hyperlink to which was posted on cryptome at url:

*2014-1240.pdf
<http://cryptome.org/2014/08/nsa-gchq-spy-turkey-der-spiegel-14-0831.pdf>

and finding it very interesting.  I am nearly finished it now and might write a
little bit about it on cryptome.

You mentioned a name in your posting and I wondered who Richard Stallman was,
as I had never heard of him, so
 I looked him up on Wikipedia...I was curious as to why anyone wouldn't want to
use a mobile phone, unless they were a
spy or up to sumfink controversial, or like my elder brother, a complete
non-techy.  Silly me, I didn't know he was one
of the inventors of computer open source software.  I only started learning to
use ubuntu a couple of years ago, and had
never really followed linux based stuff, and never got on with or understood
D.O.S. Microsoft was what hooked me to
 computers and computing.

Anyway for those of you who would like to know more about Richard Stallman, go
to url:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

P.S. I do use a mobile phone by the way...I always leave it on, but no one ever
phones me, and when they do,
I usually find that it has run out of battery and the same thing happens when I
go to make a phone call,...
waste of time when it is urgent.  It infuriates me missus...  :-).
*

On 05/09/14 14:01, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
Just been reading ( and am still reading) Bamford, basically what Snowden Et Al have done is furnish documentary evidence confirming What Mr Bamford has painstakingly researched and written about over the last 30 years or so.years. The real shift has been the exploitation of miniaturization of eavesdropping devices to the extent that they can be incorporated almost invisibly into innocent looking components or appliances.

add to that a gradual process of social engineering to encourage people to buy off the shelf, ready made spy tools in the guise of "cool" tech ( smart TV sets with built in cam and mic that cannot be disabled even when the telly is"off", mobile devices with integrated batteries, microphones. cameras etc.)

In short. we as a society have become the unwitting arm of the ever growing intelligence gathering machinery. ( I wonder if Richard Stallman still refuses to use a cell phone? )