[cryptome] Re: Wget: Was Re: Ask Zelda

  • From: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 11:08:49 -0400

Thoughtfully and respectfully configured to avoid abuse, WGET
is a swell program. But don't believe in its promotion.

Improperly configured (its default) it is one of the greatest
blights on the Internet, wasting humongous amount of bandwidth.
It is vicious malware in default config. It gobbles sites repeatedly
sometimes every hour taking what it took the hour before.

Site operators hate it, loath it, condemn it, would tar and feather
inept and abusive users. We are among the haters and try block
it by any means possible, many of which don't work due to WGET's
vile and irresponsible practice of design to bypass blocks.

WGET's first-class asshole inventor brags about its prowess in
getting around blocks. Claims its best feature is to get around
censorhip. A commercial, avaricious liar.

We support maximum freedom of access on the Net but bots
and WGETs are the ISIS of the web, marauding and destroying
for personal gain.