[CTS] Re: Vista

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:54:14 -0700

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:04:12 -0400, "Eric Vogel" <ecvogel@xxxxxxxxx> took time
to say the following:

> So far the only real complaint(s) I have is unless the program
> specifically has the option to install a icon on the quick launch,
> you're out of luck! . Well at least I haven't found a way to do it yet.
>
> Can't just drag a icon off the desktop in there?

Found out you have to hold the ctrl key down to do it!

> Also, I'm having a weird time with the sound system. I can hear sounds
> out of all speakers when Vista boots up, but after you log in, there's
> only sound in two! :-O  I installed the drivers and programs for the SB
> Live 5.1 card and it said it installed correctly, but I can not run the
> Surround sound mixer because Creative says it can't locate the card! :-O
>
> I dunno, the sound drivers work fine on the desktop for the SB 5.1

They don't here! :-(  I even lost the use of four speakers even with
WinAmp! This is getting bad! I NEED ALL my speakers! :-O

> Did you try changing it to 5.1?

the suppound sound button is greyed out!

> It has what is called Windows Sidebar with "gadgets" (Clock, weather,
> RSS, CPU usage readout and more) and what I thought was cool is, when
> using dual monitors, the sidebar moves to the second monitor, which
> gives you a view of the sidebar without either having it on top all the
> time, or hidden.
>
> Cool, when I can afford a 2nd monitor wide screen I will.

I have four (besides the three I'm using) laying around, I'll let you
have one if you pay the shipping and handling! lol!!! :-)

> While I have the basic programs installed (Firefox, Mailwasher Pro, AVG
> Free, Becky) the only hiccups is, when a program doesn't meet Vista's
> standard (for lack of a better term), it will "elevate" the program so
> you can install it. I still have to install Kerio though. I have been
> letting the windows firewall handle things, but it haven't asked me if I
> wanted to allow anything as yet. Maybe I have to tell it to ask me huh?
>
> Yes, somewhere in the firewall program.

Tried to install Kerio (the version that is on XP and Vista didn't like
it whatsoever! :-O  So I downloaded the lastest version (which is free
now, so I would really recommend getting it for Xp users) and Vista even
had problems with it. Even tried ZA (believe it or NOT), and their
version doesn't support Vista. So I downloaded and installed PC Tools
Firewall Plus. The jury is still out on it though.

> I'm considering ordering the 64bit dvd and install that, but I want to
> be sure I will be able to un-install it and re-install the 32bit version
> (if things don't go well with the 64bit version) without jumping through
> hoops with M$.
>
> You cannot upgrade to 64-bit, you must do a clean install, and yup, a clean
> install to downgrade.

I KNEW that Eric! :-P  I was talking about activation. The hardware
would be the same, so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem if I had to
revert back to the 32bit version.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels

 ** YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED **
DONATE to Hurricane Katrina victims: http://www.redcross.org/
DONATE Housing (Spare room, shelter) http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm